Many individuals would assume that the list of schools where students study least must imply that the quality of the education at these schools is not as rigorous as others. Looking at the list of schools that made the list, however, it seems there may be hidden factors that contribute.
It’s no major surprise that when you compare the list of top party schools and this list of schools where students study the least, there is a lot of overlap. In 2014, the number one party school is the University of Iowa, which ranks number four on the list of schools where students study least. Other cross overs between the top party school and this list include West Virginia University, University of Mississippi, and Florida State University.
But there are some interesting patterns on this list, including two schools in Ireland, the National University of Ireland in Maynooth and Trinity College in Dublin. It begs the question whether student workload in Ireland has simply traditionally been lighter, to perhaps make room for students to explore other interests.
Out of the 20 schools that were placed on this list, the vast majority of them are public universities. Usually, these public schools have enrolled a higher percentage of students with lower socioeconomic statuses, which typically correlate with students that are trying to hold full or part-time jobs as they work toward their education. Work demands may be a contributing factor as to why these students are spending less time hitting the books. Another factor to consider is the mix of majors that are more popular at these schools. Majors like communications or performing arts do not typically require as much study-time as majors like engineering or computer science. For these reasons and more, one should not necessarily judge a school that makes a list like this as academically inferior.
Students Who Study the Least
- University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND
- University of Mississippi, University, MS
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Baruch College – City University of New York (CUNY), New York, NY
- Monmouth University, West Long Beach, NJ
- University of Maryland – College Park, College Park, MD
- National University of Ireland – Maynooth, Ireland
- The University of Alabama – Tuscalooosa, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- St. John’s University (NY), Queens, NY
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Queens College – City University of New York (CUNY), New York, NY
- University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
- University of Florida, Gainseville, FL
- Ohio University – Athens, Athens, OH
- James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
- Emerson College, Boston, MA
- University of Idaho, Moscow, ID