The rising cost of universities and colleges has been one of the most heated issues in the world of higher education over the last few years. While the price of most schools continues to rise at a higher rate than almost any other product on the market, student debt has also skyrocketed. That’s why it is more important than ever that students do their research and find schools that offer diverse and comprehensive financial aid packages that can meet their needs. The Princeton Review created this list, highlighting the schools that provide the best financial aid packages for students.
There is a lot of overlap between schools that have the happiest students and schools that provide great financial aid. Rice University, Claremont McKenna College, Thomas Aquinas College, and Yale University all made both lists. It seems that not having to worry about financial matters may have some impact on a student’s overall happiness. Swarthmore College comes in number one for great financial aid packages. This small, highly selective liberal arts school located in Swarthmore, PA, has dedicated over $30 million for scholarships and over 52% of its student body receives some sort of scholarship assistance. Some public universities also provide excellent options, including the University of Virginia, which offers a wide variety of options including federal loans, in-state programs, and need based private scholarships.
In order to ensure students have an excellent undergraduate experience, it’s important that they take a close look at financial information and options before they make any choices. Individuals need to focus on what the school has offered other students and ask their financial aid-related questions before they make sure commitments. Getting the best education possible at the most affordable price is a balance all students should look for. Striking that balance should help students feel confident that when they graduate, they will have the best opportunity to move into a career and future, with as little debt as possible.
Schools with Great Financial Aid
- Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA
- Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- University of Virginia, Charlottsville, VA
- Pomona College, Claremont, CA
- Rice University, Houston, TX
- Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Claremont McKenna College, Claremont, CA
- New College of Florida,
- Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Columbia University, New York, NY
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, CA
- Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, NY
- College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, ME
- University of Richmond, Richmond, VA
- Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
- Trinity College, Hartford, CT
- Hunter College- City University of New York (CUNY), New York, NY
- Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, MA
- Reed College, Portland, OR
- University of Redlands, Redlands, CA