Psychiatric nursing colleges and universities offer programs which are designed to prepare registered nurses to promote mental health and provide nursing care to patients with emotional, mental, or behavioral disorders, in mental institutions or other settings. These psychiatric nursing programs frequently include in-depth instruction in psychopathology, counseling and intervention strategies, behavioral health, mental health assessment and dual diagnosis, substance abuse, psychoeducation, psychiatric care and rehabilitation, stabilization and management of psychotic illness, and crisis intervention.
Below are colleges and universities providing majors, degrees, and training programs in Psychiatric Nursing.
- University of Southern Maine – Gorham, ME
- University of California – San Francisco – San Francisco, CA
- University of Virginia – Charlotesville, VA
- Vanderbilt University – Nashville, TN
- University of Washington – Seattle, WA
- University of Pennsylvania – Philadephia, PA
- University of Pittsburgh – Pittsburgh, PA
- Rush University – Chicago, IL
- Yale University – Orange, CT
- Johns Hopkins University – Baltimore, MD
- New York University (Meyers) – New York, NY