For students who want to go off the “wild” college path and have a more conservative college experience, we present The 20 Most Sober Schools in the nation. According to this list developed by the Princeton Review, not every young adult salivates at the idea of a keg party. In the 2018 edition of “The Best 378 Colleges,” universities and colleges from across the nation stand out, not for their ragers or toga parties, but instead for their ability to show restraint.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the private Mormon institution, Brigham Young University, where students are asked to follow an honor code where they refrain from drugs, alcohol, and extramarital sex, is the number one sober school in the country, for the 21st year in a row. Schools like the United States Air Force Academy and the United States Coast Guard Academy, also made the top 12 of the list. These schools require participation in athletics year-round, making it difficult to squeeze partying in.
According to the Princeton Review, the list was compiled through a survey taken by between 200-400 students at the schools. Through detailed questions, students were asked to rank on a five-point scale the amount of drinking and partying that goes on at their school.
The top 20 sober colleges and schools offer an alternative to prospective students who may not want to attend a party school due to religious and/or conservative values, or other reasons. Explore each of these schools below.
Most Sober Schools
- Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, MO
- Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI
- United States Air Force Academy, USAF Academy, CO
- Gordon College, Wenham, MA
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, CA
- Grove City College, Grove City, PA
- City University of New York–Baruch College, New York, NY
- City University of New York–Hunter College, New York, NY
- United States Military Academy, West Point, NY
- United States Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT
- United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD
- Baylor University, Waco, TX
- Agnes Scott College, Decautur, GA
- Mills College, Oakland, CA
- Berry College, Mount Berry, GA
- College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, ME
- Simmons College, Boston, MA
- The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York, NY