For students who want to go off the “wild” college path and have a more conservative college experience, we present The 20 Most Sober Schools in the nation. According to this list developed by the Princeton Review, not every young adult salivates at the idea of a keg party. In their 2014 edition of “The Best 378 Colleges,” universities and colleges from across the nation stand out, not for their ragers or toga parties, but instead for their ability to show restraint.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the private Mormon institution, Brigham Young University, where students are asked to follow an honor code where they refrain from drugs, alcohol, and extramarital sex, is the number one sober school in the country, for the 17th year in a row. Schools like the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT, and the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, also easily make it into the top ten. The Naval Academy requires participation in athletics year-round, making it difficult to squeeze partying in.
Not every college or university on the list was so obvious, however. According to the Princeton Review, the list was compiled through a survey taken by between 200-400 students at the schools. Through detailed questions, students were asked to rank on a five-point scale the amount of drinking and partying that goes on at their school. Three City University of New York schools (CUNY), Brooklyn College, City College, and Queens College made it into the top 20 most sober schools. Reasons for this aren’t entirely clear, but the fact that Brooklyn College doesn’t offer on-campus housing and 73% of Queens College students live off campus could be a contributing factor.
The top 20 stone cold sober schools could offer some hope to those students who cringe at the idea of drinking. While the stereotype of college students includes day-long tailgating events replete with beer and wild late night adventures at rowdy clubs, it’s nice to know there are options for the more conservatively inclined.
Most Sober Schools
- Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, MO
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, CA
- United States Military Academy, West Point, NY
- Grove City College, Grove City, PA
- Wesleyan College, Macon, GA
- United States Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT
- United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD
- Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI
- Brooklyn College- City University of New York (CUNY), Brooklyn, NY
- City College- City University of New York (CUNY), New York, NY
- Queens College- City University of New York (CUNY), Flushing, NY
- Mills College, Oakland, CA
- Agnes Scott College, Decatur, GA
- Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, MA
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
- Simmons College, Boston, MA
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
- Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA