Trying pot in college seems to have become as much an American cliche as pulling an all-nighter or doing a keg stand. The legalization of medical marijuana in many U.S. states and the complete legalization of the drug, regardless of use, has begun in places like Colorado and Washington. The question of whether the drug will dominate university culture, instead of alcohol, and what the impacts of this potential shift could mean, will be on many researchers’ minds in the years to come. As the 2014 Princeton Review rankings reveal, there are plenty of schools across the country that appear to prize pot smoking above all else. Here are some of the highlights.
Perhaps it comes as little surprise that universities in California, Washington, and Colorado are included due to their size and demographics, yet they do not dominate this list. The number one pothead school, in fact, is Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, which is known for its excellent academic programs and small class sizes. There are many small schools on the list, including Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, FL, Bard College in New York State, and Emerson College in Boston, MA.
Big schools are not excluded from the list, however. There are many larger campuses that are highlighted. Two University of California schools, UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz are number 5 and number 10 respectively. More surprising is the sprawling campus of the University of Texas at Austin, which ranks number 13 on the list. The most unexpected thing about this list is its diversity in terms of the type, geographic location, and size of the schools it features. The schools seem to go against the stereotype that pot users usually attend small, free spirited liberal arts colleges. As marijuana legalization battles continue in the years to come, these data points and others surrounding it, will certainly be interesting to watch!
Schools with the Most Potheads
- Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY
- University of Colorado – Boulder, Boulder, CO
- The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA
- Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, FL
- University of California – Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA
- University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
- Ithica College, Ithica, NY
- University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
- Pitzer College, Claremont, CA
- University of California – Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
- Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY
- Warren Wilson College, Asheville, NC
- The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, Madison, WI
- Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY
- Green Mountain, Poultney, VT
- Emerson College, Boston, MA
- Guilford College, Greensboro, NC
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY