For its 2014 list of colleges, the Princeton Review compiled a list of schools that include the most hard liquor drinkers. Many of the schools on this list overlap with other lists in the series, including the schools with the most beer drinkers, schools where students study the least, and top party schools. There are some anomalies, however.
Schools that don’t appear on any other party school-related list but make it on to the hard liquor list include St. Bonaventure University in St. Bonaventure, NY, Providence College in Providence, RI, Colgate University in Hamilton, NY, and Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. It begs the question of what makes liquor so popular on these campuses. One thing they have in common is being located in the Northeast. Perhaps it is the cold winter temperatures that encourages students to turn to spirits rather than beer, which is traditionally served cold.
Tulane University ranks number 5 on this list, which could be attributed to its location in New Orleans, LA. New Orleans has some of the loosest liquor laws in the entire country, as liquor is permitted for sale in almost any convenience store, 24 hours a day. Austin, TX, also has less stringent liquor laws, and the University of Texas at Austin comes in at number 14.
Overall, though, it does appear that if your school is a top party school, and a top beer drinking school, there will probably also be a lot of hard liquor consumed on campus. Schools that made all four of these lists include the University of Iowa, West Virginia University, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Most Hard Liquor Drinkers
- Univeristy of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- University of California – Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA
- University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- Ohio University – Athens, Athens, OH
- University of Illinois at Urbana – Champaign, Champaign, IL
- Providence College, Providence, RI
- DePauw University, Greencastle, IN
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, Madison, WI
- University of Florida, Gainseville, FL
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Lehigh University, Bethlemhem, PA
- The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- University of Maryland – College Park, College Park, MD
- Miami University, Oxford, OH
- St. Bonaventure University, St. Bonaventure, NY
- Penn State University Park, University Park, PA
- Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
- Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT