For its 2018 list of colleges, the Princeton Review compiled a list of schools that include the most hard liquor drinkers. Many of the schools on this list overlap with other lists in the series, including the schools with the most beer drinkers, schools where students study the least, and top party schools.
Schools that don’t appear on any other party school-related list but make it on to the hard liquor list include St. Bonaventure University in St. Bonaventure, NY, Providence College in Providence, RI, Colgate University in Hamilton, NY, and Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. It begs the question of what makes liquor so popular on these campuses. One thing they have in common is being located in the Northeast. Perhaps it is the cold winter temperatures that encourage students to turn to spirits rather than beer, which is traditionally served cold.
Tulane University ranks number 5 on this list, which could be attributed to its location in New Orleans, LA. New Orleans has some of the loosest liquor laws in the entire country, as liquor is permitted for sale in almost any convenience store, 24 hours a day.
Overall, it does appear that if your school is a top party school and a top beer-drinking school, there will probably also be a lot of hard liquor consumed on campus. Schools that made all four of these lists include West Virginia University and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Most Hard Liquor Drinkers
- University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA
- Connecticut College, New London, CT
- University of California–Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA
- Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- Boston University, Boston, MA
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- University of Maine, Orono, ME
- Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL
- Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, NC
- University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA
- Bentley University, Waltham, MA
- St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY
- Ursinus College, Collegeville, PA
- Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
- Providence College, Providence, RI