The beer industry has changed dramatically over the past couple of years as craft breweries have been popping up all across the country. These locally brewed selections have begun to take a sizable chunk out of the national beer brand market. It appears that there are also a number of colleges that focus solely on beer… consumption. According to the Princeton Review’s 2014 list of colleges, these are the colleges that seem to favor beer drinking over other kinds of alcohol.
The school that can boast the highest number of beer drinkers is Penn State University – University Park, in University Park, PA. Other large schools like Penn State that consume large quantities of beer include the University of Florida in Gainesville, the University of Georgia in Athens, and the University of Texas at Austin.
To no big surprise, the list of most beer drinkers has many crossovers with the list of the biggest party schools and even the list of the most hard liquor drinkers. For schools where partying is the norm, traditions of drinking beer and liquor appear to go hand in hand.
There are a few smaller schools that also keep up with the bigger campuses in terms of beer drinking, including Bates College in Lewiston, ME, Boston College in Chestnut Hill, MA, and Beloit College in Wisconsin. One contributing factor that could increase or decrease beer consumption at various college locations could be the liquor laws that are featured in that state or city. For example, in Maine, no alcohol can ever be purchased after 1 am and the state controls the sales of spirits. Beer, on the other hand, can be sold in grocery stores.
Most Beer Drinkers
- Penn State University – University Park, University Park, PA
- Ohio University – Athens, Athens, OH
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- University of Illinois at Urbana – Champaign, Champaign, IL
- University of California – Santa Barbara, Santa Barabara, CA
- Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, Madison, WI
- The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- Bates College, Lewiston, ME
- Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- Beloit College, Beloit, WI
- Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA
- Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
- Kenyon College, Gambier, OH