It's not necessary to have a pre-med major to be admitted to medical school. In fact, many schools do not offer this major at all. To be admitted to medical school, you
must earn high grades in certain courses and receive a satisfactory score on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Medical schools require potential students to take numerous science, a few math, and some English courses. It's not necessary to major in a scientific discipline, but it's easier to satisfy pre-admission requirements since medical schools require students to take multiple science classes. However, many humanities majors who've completed the pre-requisite courses attend medical school. Students interested in medical school should plan on taking calculus, biochemistry, chemistry, biology, and anatomy.
Select a college listed below to explore various medical majors and view colleges and universities offering majors and degree programs in medicine.
- Baylor College of Medicine – private medical school with a total annual enrollment of roughly 1,400 students. Visit their website to learn more about medical programs, higher education opportunities and clinical services for individuals.
- Brown Medical School – learn more about the medical (MD) training and resident programs offered at Brown Medical School.
- Duke University School of Medicine – the Duke University School of Medicine offers one of the top medical programs in the nation for aspiring physicians, general practitioners and surgeons. Learn more about admissions requirements, course overviews, and request a handbook.
- Harvard Medical School – learn more about Harvard medical degree programs, review current research in medicine that's being conducted at the school, explore various resources for students, and get the latest news on what's happening on campus.
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio – the health science center at the University of Texas in
San Antonio offers various undergraduate and graduate higher education opportunities in medicine, nursing, dentistry and allied health profession services. Learn more at their website today.
- College of Medicine – learn more about admission to the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois. Review
general program information and detailed course overviews and descriptions.
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine – explore general program information, course descriptions and application
instructions for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University.
- Boston University School of Medicine – site includes research and program information, admissions, and an overview of the programs.
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University – Site offers details about the school, available programs, news and events. Greenville, NC.
- Brown University School of Medicine – Site offers financial aid and job placement information, and course descriptions. Located in Rhode Island.
- Case Western Reserve University – School of Medicine – graduate studies and general course information.
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons – Site includes student resources, school history and news, department overview, and admission resources.
- Creighton University School of Medicine – Detailed overview of course offerings, degree and degree programs. Located in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Dartmouth Medical School – Hanover, New Hampshire. Site offers application instructions, program descriptions, and important information for staff, students, and alumni.
- East Tennessee State University – James H. Quillen College of Medicine – School programs include M.D, residency, and other graduate opportunities in the medical and healthcare field. Located in Johnson City, Tennessee.
- Emory University School of Medicine – This top tier medical university provides competitive, cutting edge training in healthcare. Atlanta, GA.
- George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences – Washington, D.C. This world renowned medical facility is famous for the medical training it provides.
- Indiana University – School of Medicine – Site includes department information, professional affiliations, topical health guide, and admission instructions. Indianapolis, Indiana.
- John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa – Site includes program descriptions, admission instructions, and general information about the only medical school in Hawaii.
- Loma Linda University School of Medicine – Loma Linda, California. School builds its healthcare education on Christian fundamentals of service and sacrifice.
- Loyola University Chicago – Stritch School of Medicine – site offers overview of programs, student information, and internet resources. Maywood, IL.
- Medical College of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Includes general information, program outlines, research opportunities and admissions information.
- Morehouse School of Medicine – Atlanta Georgia. Site offers student resources, application instructions, and general school information.
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine – New York City. Site offers general information about medical programs as well as an overview of the schools patient care approach.
- New York University School of Medicine – Manhattan, New York. Site offers overview of Departments and programs, as well as research information, and graduate resources.
- Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center – Hershey, Pennsylvania. Site includes details about the many healthcare programs available as well as general school information about the school.
- Rush University Medical College – Chicago Illinois. Earn a LCME accredited healthcare degree at Rush Medical College.
- Southern Illinois University Medical School at Springfield – University information and online resources.
- Southwest Acupuncture College – A Classical School of Oriental Medicine – Accredited MS degrees available in
- Stanford Medical Genetics – Stanford's center for Medical genetics. Site offers information and online genetics resources.
- Stanford University School of Medicine – Earn an MD, MS, or PhD. Stanford, California.
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center – Site gives information about the medical school and its hospital, Suny Downstate Health Science Center in Brooklyn.
- Tufts University School of Medicine – This Chinatown University in Boston uses technology based instructional programs to enhance student learning.
- Tulane School of Medicine – Site offers resources and support for researchers, students, faculty, and medical school
applicants. Site also includes job postings, and general health guidelines. New Orleans, Louisiana.
- UC Davis School of Medicine – Sacramento, California. Site offers school overview, admissions requirements, department and general information.
- UC Irvine College of Medicine – Medical school program, department and admissions information.
- University at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences – Website for the School Medicine and Biomedical
Science at the State University of New York at Buffalo.
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine – Medical school emphasizes curricula that enhances learning and maximizes the benefit of clinical experience.
- University of Florida College of Medicine – Site offers contact information, program descriptions, and online resources.
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine – Site includes student information, department overviews, and general guidance for prospective students interested in either the Chicago, Rockford, Urbana-Champaign, or Peoria campuses.
- The University of Iowa College of Medicine – Iowa City, Iowa. Site includes information about available programs in healthcare and biomedicine.
- University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center – Site offers guidance for those interested in studying medicine, dentistry, nursing, and pharmacy at the College of Allied Health Professions at the Kentucky School of Public Health. Lexington, Kentucky.
- University of Louisville School of Medicine – Site details educational, research, and clinical programs. Louisville, Kentucky.
- University of Massachusetts Medical School – Offers students a thorough, fulfilling education that prepares them for the medical profession.
- The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey – Site offers information about the broad network of health center schools throughout the state at five different universities.
- University of Minnesota Medical School – Minneapolis, MN. Site includes information about courses in medical education, health and wellness, as well as research and clinical services.
- University of Missouri Medical School – Course offerings, admissions instructions, alumni resources, department overviews, and faculty directories.
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences – Department overviews, current projects, and
campus calendar. Grand Forks, ND.
- University of Oklahoma Health Science Center – Institute for healthcare education that focuses on physician, dentist, public health specialist, nurse, and pharmacist education.
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry – Over 4000 undergraduate and more than 2500 graduate students attend this school.
- University of South Florida – College of Medicine – Site includes department information, research opportunities, student resources, and campus news.
- The University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine – Knoxville, Tennessee. Programs available for medical students, residents, and community medical professionals.
- University of Texas – Houston Medical School – Site includes educational opportunities, current research and clinical experiences.
- University of Texas Health Science Center – School of Medicine – San Antonio, TX. MD program information, school events, and general information.
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston – This academic medical center is devoted to preparing healthcare professionals for the challenging field of medicine, and finding solutions to the worlds most intriguing biomedical questions.
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas – Part of the University of Texas System, this medical school provides an excellent education in healthcare and medical research.
- University of Utah School of Medicine – Salt Lake City, Utah. School is devoted to training medical professionals, researching pressing biomedical questions, and supporting the surrounding community.
- University of Virginia Health Sciences Center – Site offers an overview of the medical and nursing schools, as well as the University hospital.Charlottesville, Virginia.
- University of Wisconsin Medical School – Medical school overview, alumni resources, and program descriptions.
- UVA Health Evaluation Sciences – Researching, educating and working in health services, biostatistics, clinical evaluation, and epidemiology. Located on the University of Virginia Campus.
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine bachelors' degrees and graduate programs in medicine. Site includes faculty profiles, campus contact information and program descriptions. Richmond, Virginia.
- Weill Medical College of Cornell University – Cornell was founded more than 100 years ago, and has been working cooperatively with the new York Hospital since the late 1920's. Facilities offer both clinical services and research opportunities.