Copy and Paste the following into your website
41 Surprising Facts About Online Students
Who Are The Online Students?
- 80% of online students live within 100 miles of a campus or service center of the institution they attend.
- 46% say their biggest motivation to enroll was to advance their current career.
- 37% of online students were the first in their family to attend college.
- 32% of higher education students now take at least one online course.
- 33% study business.
- More than 80% of online undergraduate students have transfer credits.
- 15% – the largest portion of online students- study at the University of Phoenix
- Caucasian: 62%
- African American: 19%
- Asian or Pacific Islander: 9%
- Hispanic: 8%
- Native American: 1%
- Other: 1%
- 18-24: 19%
- 25-29: 20%
- 30-34: 15%
- 35-39: 13%
- 40-44: 11%
- 45-49: 10%
- 50-54: 8%
- 55+: 4%
- Female: 70%
- Male: 30%
Online Learners and Money
- 11% of online graduates earn less than $25k annually
- 53% of online graduates earn $25 -84k annually
- 29% of online graduates earn $85-150k+ annually
- 7% prefer not to say what their annual income is
Paying for Their Online Education
- Student loans and other financial aid only: 31%
- Personal funds only: 28%
- Personal funds and loans: 21%
- Personal, loans and scholarships: 8%
- Personal and employer: 8%
- Employer only: 4%
- Employed full-time: 60%
- Employed part-time: 20%
- Not employed but looking: 12%
- Not employed and not looking: 7%
- Retired: 1%
Why Students Enroll in Online Courses
- Balance – The ability to balance work, family, and social responsibilities more easily: 68%
- Anytime, Anywhere – Students love the ability to study anytime, anywhere are their own convenience: 64%
- Accelerated Courses – Fast-track courses motivate students to earn a college degree in an online setting: 37%
- Cheaper – The overall lower cost of online courses is very appealing to online students: 30%
- Faster Completion Time – With great flexibility, online degrees are generally completed faster than traditional degrees: 18%
- Variety – Course variety is one of the top reasons students choose to enroll in online courses: 12%
- Credential Potential – Greater potential for specific educational credentials: 9%
- Effectiveness – Some students find online learning methods more effective than a traditional college setting: 9%