1. Set goals.
It’s difficult to arrive at a final destination when you’re unsure of what it is and how to get there. Develop a roadmap for reaching your educational goals.
2. Use an appointment book.
It’s easy to forget assignment due dates, test days, and other important information when it’s not written down, especially when you’re focused on your studies.
3. Know your learning style.
Develop strategies for overcoming learning differences when instructors employ contradictory teaching methods.
4. Be an active reader.
You’ll better retain information from the textbook if you practice active reading.
5. Participate in study groups.
Organize study groups with other classmates. It’s easier to remember concepts taught to others, and group members often share insights you never consider.
6. Take notes.
Take organized notes. If it’s useful, develop outlines, highlight key information, or utilize other methods to organize lecture notes.
7. Organize your study materials.
Organize notes, assigned readings, and other study materials, so it can be easily retrieved while studying.
8. Draft papers.
Always write a rough draft when preparing an essay. Take time to review it for incompleteness and errors and ask the instructor or a classmate to read it and offer advice.
9. Slow down on tests.
It’s common to misunderstand questions or skip key information when nervous. Take time to thoroughly read test questions.
10. Don’t replace protein with caffeine.
Before a test, avoid consuming caffeine. Instead, eat foods high in complex carbohydrates and protein.
College Degree Finder
Online College Degree Programs
Explore distance learning degree programs that can be completed entirely online.
Degrees by level:
Degrees by Subject:
- Creative and Visual Art & Design
- Business Administration & Management
- Criminal Justice & Law Enforcement
- Education & Training
- Health, Medicine, Nursing & Therapy
- Hospitality & Culinary Arts
- Liberal Arts & Humanities
- Natural & Physical Science
- Social Science
- Computer & Information Technology
- Vocational & Technical Training
College Search Articles
- Benefits of Earning a College Degree
- How To Select The Best College
- Selecting a College Major
- How To Select College Classes
- How To Find College Loans
- Community Colleges vs. Universities
- Online College Degrees
- How To Select a Community College
- Excuses for Not Attending College
- Jump Start Your College Planning
- Public "Ivy League" Colleges
- Selecting A Graduate School
- Masters or Ph.D.: Which is Right?
- The Right Graduate Program
- Why Not College?
- Get Them To Say "Yes"
- Why Students Like Online Learning
- College Rankings
- Highest Acceptance Rate
- Lowest Acceptance Rate
- Most Students Receiving Merit Aid
- Highest 4-year Graduation Rate
- Top 25 Community Colleges
- Top 100 Colleges by Highest Tuition
- Top 100 Colleges by Highest Total Cost
- Top Colleges by Salary of Graduates
- Top Party Schools
- Best Schools for Entrepreneurs
- Top 25 Recruiters Picks
- Most Popular Degrees by Gender