Students considering a degree in physics should know that the discipline requires a strong understanding of science and math. If you plan on pursuing a degree in physics be prepared to dedicate anywhere from 50 to 60 hours a week to your studies. About 30 to 40 hours will be spent studying and preparing assignments and the remaining time will be in classroom lectures and lab projects. Individuals that enjoy math, science and logic puzzles, and are naturally curiously to discover how things works, are likely to enjoy a major in physics.
Below we've compiled a list of accredited four-year colleges and universities that offer undergraduate and/or graduate degrees in physics.
Sciences Department, University of
Arizona – through their
Atmospheric Sciences Department, the
University of Arizona offers
undergraduate and graduate degree
programs in atmospheric physics,
meteorology, environmental physics,
University Physics Department –
explore a comprehensive directory of
faculty, current research occurring in
physics and information on physics
courses and degree programs.
University: School of Physics –
explore physics courses and degree
programs offered by the Brandeis
University School of Physics. Gain
insights into current research in
physics and review information for
applying to the physics program at
Physics Department – learn more
about undergraduate degree programs in
physics, as well as graduate-level
research opportunities in physics
available through the Brown University
State Polytechnic University,
Pomona: Department of Physics –
the web page for the physics
department at California State
Polytechnic�Pomona offers information
on undergraduate and graduate level
physics degree programs, course
overviews, faculty directories and
general information about the physics
State University, Fullerton: Physics
Department – explore physics
programs, profiles of department
faculty and an events calendar for the
physics department at California State
College of Louisiana – Department of
Physics – review overviews of
physics programs, course descriptions
and a unique gallery of photos
provided by the physics department
faculty and staff.
Physics Department – explore
detailed information on the physics
programs, research projects and
courses offered by the faculty at Case
Western Reserve University.
- Department of Nuclear Engineering at Texas A&M University – Academic programs in health physics, ergonomics, nuclear engineering and industrial hygiene.
- Department of Physics and Astronomy at University of Pennsylvania – Click here for faculty directory, program descriptions, research opportunities and department events.
- Department of Physics, Astronomy, and Materials Science – Click here for admissions information and a general overview of the department.
- The Department of Physics at Carnegie Mellon – This site provides faculty profiles, research information, events, schedules, and program information.
- Department of Physics, Northeastern Illinois University – Find out more about our research, our programs, and our faculty.
- The Electronic Universe – This site includes information about courses, programs, community involvement, online instruction, and general Universe information.
- Franklin & Marshall College: Department of Physics – Read the department Newsletter, learn about our faculty, find out about our research, and come see how to get involved.
- Georgia Institute of Technology – School of Physics – Our exciting programs offer exceptional educational opportunities across the spectrum of physics studies.
- Gustavus Adolphus College Physics Department – Website for the Department of Physics.
- Hollins University: Physics – The program uses seminar courses, internships, and research to prepare students for a future in physics.
- Idaho State University Physics Department – Click here to learn more about our programs, our faculty, and our current research, and of course the Idaho Accelerator Center.
- Illinois Wesleyan University Dept. of Physics – Get a head start on research as an undergrad at Wesleyan University.
- Indiana University Southeast Physics Program – Site includes faculty profiles, course descriptions, research information, and campus calendar and news.
- Kansas State University – Physics Department – Here you'll find department information, events calendar, and research information.
- Michigan Technological University Department of Physics – Here you can learn about the programs, courses, labs, and research at the Department of Physics.
- Mississippi State University – Website for the Physics and Astronomy.
- MIT Department of Physics – Click here for department information, program descriptions, faculty directory, and reviews of current research.
- NDSU Department Of Physics – The Department of Physics At North Dakota State University has programs in high energy particle theory, lonospheric physics, theoretical Gravitation and torsion, and other cutting edge areas of physics research.
- NJIT Physics Department – Site includes information about courses, facilities, and faculty at this department website.
- Northern Illinois University Physics Department – Here you will find program descriptions, directories, course offerings, and community outreach opportunities.
- Ohio State University – Department of Physics – Website includes current research information, events, course descriptions, schedules, and general department information.
- Otterbein College – Department of Physics and Astronomy – Learn about the faculty, our programs, research, lecture, and facilities.
- Cornell University Department of Physics – Department overview, news page, faculty directory, course offerings, and research information.
- Physics and Astronomy Departments – Department overview, news page, faculty directory, course offerings, and research information.
- Physics Department at Notre Dame – Site includes general school information, lecture schedules, course offerings, and research information.
- Rutgers University – Astronomy and Physics Department website.
- Sonoma State University Dept. of Physics and Astronomy – Site includes course offerings, facilities, employment information, department information and lecture schedules and details.
- South Dakota State University Physics Department – Here you will find faculty profiles, course outlines, community programs, job listings, and general department information.
- St. Lawrence University – Department of Physics – Site includes program requirements, course offerings, faculty directories, research overviews, and photo gallery.
- Stephen F. Austin State University – Website for the Physics and Astronomy Department in Nacogdoches, Texas.
- University of California, Irvine – Physics and Astronomy – Site includes program descriptions, research information, course descriptions, and general department information.
- University of California, Los Angeles – Department of Physics and Astronomy – Site includes calendar, activities, program descriptions, class descriptions, and information about research. Offers weekly events calendar, news, and announcements, and provides overview of academic programs, classes, and research efforts.
- University of Chicago – Department of Physics – Site includes research projects, faculty information, events, and course descriptions.
- University of Dallas Department of Physics – Here you will find information about the C3P Project, as well as general department information.
- University of Delaware – Department of Physics and Astronomy – Site includes directory, current events, lecture time tables, and general information.
- University of Hawaii, Manoa – Department of Physics and Astronomy – Site includes information about degrees, courses, and research opportunities.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign – Department of Physics, – Department overview, course descriptions, department news, faculty profiles, and lecture time tables.
- The University of Iowa – Department of Physics and Astronomy – Here you will find program information, research opportunities, calendars, directories, and course descriptions.
- University of Maine – Overview and general information about the physics and astronomy departments at University of Main.
- University of Minnesota – School of Physics and Astronomy – Site offers general department information, course offerings, program descriptions, calendar, research information and directories.
- University of Mississippi Physics and Astronomy Department – Learn about our undergraduate and graduate opportunities in physics.
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln – Department of Physics and Astronomy – Site includes events, research information, faculty directories, and department overview.
- University of Pittsburgh – Physics and Astronomy Department – Here you will find general department information, course offerings, directories, department accomplishments, and research reviews.
- University of Washington – Physics Department – Site includes program descriptions, course overviews, research reviews, and calendar of events.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison – Physics Department – Here you will find program overviews, directories, and course listings.
- USC Department of Physics and Astronomy Website for Physics and Astronomy Physics.
- Wake Forest University – Physics department website.
- Wayne State University – Department of Physics and Astronomy – Site offers program descriptions, research reviews, and planetarium information.
- Wide Band Gap Semiconductor Group at Kansas State University-Physics – The research of this group is centered on III-nitride wide band gap semiconductors, GaN, InGaN, and other alloys in the same family.
- William & Mary Physics Department – Site offers faculty information, research reviews, and department news.