Legal/Law Studies Majors and Degree Programs
Students who study legal studies as undergraduates learn about the legal system, legal institutions, and legal theory. This major is centered around the view that studying law and justice is humanistic in nature and will encourage others to live by and promote the fundamental values the legal system is built upon. This is a liberal arts program typically administered by the College of Letters and Science but supervised by faculty members of the law school.
Legal studies courses cover the philosophy of law, non-western legal traditions, American legal history, the criminal justice process, politics and law, property law, and economic regulation. These courses are typically taught by professors with social science, humanities, and legal backgrounds.
Legal studies programs are not designed to prepare potential law students, nor are they designed to train paralegals. Law schools do not encourage potential students to choose specific undergraduate majors. However, students who study legal studies typically develop excellent analytical and critical thinking skills. Schools utilize a multidisciplinary approach to introduced students to various institutions, theories, and human behaviors. Aspiring law students frequently select this major to receive a liberal arts education and the accompanying benefits.
Select a concentration below to explore various legal studies majors and view colleges and universities offering majors and degree programs in pre-law, law, legal research, health law intellectual property law, corporate law, paralegal studies, legal support, tax law and more.
- Pre-law Studies
- Advanced Legal Research/studies, General
- Programs For Foreign Lawyers
- American/u.s. Law/legal Studies/jurisprudence
- Banking, Corporate, Finance, and Securities Law
- Comparative Law
- Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources Law
- Health Law
- International Law and Legal Studies
- International Business, Trade, and Tax Law
- Tax Law/taxation
- Intellectual Property Law
- Legal Research and Advanced Professional Studies, Other
- Legal Administrative Assistant/secretary
- Legal Assistant/paralegal
- Court Reporting/court Reporter
- Legal Support Services, Other
- Legal Professions and Studies, Other
College Degree Finder
Search our national database of online and campus based college degree programs.